Pages

Saturday 13 October 2012

Bedbugs and the creation of life

Earlier in the week I read the following headline in the paper: "Bed bugs linked to sleep loss, anxiety."  It prompted me to write the following letter to the editor:

“ 'Bed bugs linked to sleep loss, anxiety,' ” the headline said. Oh my God, I thought. Can sleep loss and anxiety somehow produce bedbugs? How can that be? Does anxiety attract bedbugs, like flames attract moths? Does it create bedbugs? Have we finally found out how to create simple forms of life?

"Then I read the article."

The article, of course, simply said that the presence of bedbugs can create anxiety, not the other way around, but we live in a psychosomatic age, we all know the power of our psyches, so why not?

(I'm joking, I think.  But who knows how life began?  Maybe God was anxious one day.  It would explain a lot.)

1 comment:

  1. Sheldon, it is not a surprise that this piece reminds me of the University Sheldon I know (which to reference a more recent posting, is one of those earlier yous). I suspect that life began from God's loneliness and/or boredom. Is that a form of ultimate existential anxiety? If so, I suspect it explains a lot of why we are the way we are...

    ReplyDelete