Pages

Saturday 4 April 2015

New Poems

Eight poems inspired by A.A. Milne:

If I were married to the Queen
I think that I would make a scene
I'd say this isn't how it's been
My enemies are all unclean
But after that I'd want to sing
If I were married to the Queen.

-----

If I had a little boy
I think I'd give to him a toy
Not a little pretty doll
That wouldn't suit him, not at all
But a toy that spins and flies around
Though it never leaves the ground
That I think would be quite sound
That indeed would be quite sound

-----

If I were a spider
And sat down beside her
Hoping perhaps I could play
I'd be quite disheartened
And not really smartened
If she were quite frightened away

-----

I wish I had an elephant and rode him to the square
I wish there were some people who said, What have you there?
I do not have an elephant, a tiger, or a drake
I only have a tiny little mouse upon a lake.

-----

A rabbit came a-wandering along a country lane
He held two gloves within his paws and wandered back again
O rabbit, I said to him, rabbit my dear,
Can you explain to us all
Why there's a fool in a stove top hat
Waiting for me in the hall?

-----

It would be nice to have some spice
Though it sadly tickles my nose
And yet I would try it once or twice
Just to see how it goes

-----

You can hear the sea if you stand quite still*
You can listen and know upon a hill
There's all of the world wrapped up in the sea
And maybe there's more of the world to see
Or maybe the world is waiting to be.

*An actual line from "Come Out with Me."
A single line of plagiary.

-----

A poet shouldn't explain his poems
For one thing it might get very long
And worse than that, he might be wrong
And anyway if he tells them through
There isn't much for others to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment